Friday, January 4, 2008

12/25 - Jekyll no longer would be worth trip

ajc.com > Opinion
Click-2-Listen
READERS WRITE: By Susan L. Dehoff
For the Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/25/07

Jekyll no longer would be worth trip

I appreciate Jim Langford's land developer's eye view of Jekyll Island ("More vacationers could enjoy park," @issue, Dec. 10). As a Georgia educator in the 1970s and '80s, I saw it differently. It was an affordable place to introduce my niece to the beach in a natural setting. I now live in Massachusetts and spend three days each August driving to Jekyll, along with a friend. Neither of us relishes the three-day drive; both of us forget that inconvenience when we see the ocean from Beachview Drive.

Last summer my niece, her husband and step-son rented a house on Jekyll the same week I did. They see Jekyll as an affordable place to introduce another generation to the beach in a natural setting. We return to Jekyll each year because it is a piece of Paradise. Thank you for your input, Mr. Langford, but the large development you propose on Beachview Drive would end our trips to Jekyll.

SUSAN L. DeHOFF, Shrewsbury, Mass.

No comments: